Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Sa - Ur / Laura Tyus
« Last post by stanjaxsr on March 22, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »
Seeking relatives of Laura Tyus and Mark or Marcus Andrews, my maternal grandparents.
Tracing Ancestors of Georgia Scott / Re: Tracing Your Ancestor Contest Winning Entry
« Last post by chief on November 15, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
We followed Georgia Scott back in time. Even though the 1940 census suggests that she was born around 1921 or 1922, we found her in the 1920 Warren County, Georgia federal census. Warren  County abuts and bounds Hancock on the northeastern side.

Scott, Lucilus, head, male, black, age 28,farmer, birthplace Georgia, parents' birthplace Georgia
Scott, Nancy, wife, female, mulatto, age 24, birthplace Georgia, parents' birthplace Virginia
Scott, Robert, son, male, mulatto, age 8, birthplace Georgia, parents' birthplace Georgia

--------------
--------------
--------------
Scott, Georgia, daughter, female, mulatto, age 2, birthplace Georgia, parents' birthplace Georgia

U.S.Census, 1920, Warren County, Georgia, ED 125, Lucilus Scott, Sheet 4B, House #79.

This census entry confirmed Georgia's mother  as Nancy Scott. The census taker described both mother and daughter as mulattos. The designation mulatto referred to persons who appeared to be of mixed racial heritage. Sometimes, it was a judgment call by the census taker.

From the 1920 census we can conclude:
  • Nancy Scott was born around 1896.
  • She appeared to be of mixed racial heritage.
  • Her parents were born In Virginia.

Tracing Ancestors of Sam Brown / Re: Tracing Your Ancestor Contest Winning Entry
« Last post by chief on April 30, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
Tester supplied the following information about her ancestor:
  • My grandfather, Sam Brown, Jr. resided in Burke County, Georgia.
  • He died around 1970.
  • I believe he was 80 years old at the time of his passing away.
  • He had sisters named Mamie Coleman, Ada Binns and I think Annie.
  • His father was Sam Brown, Sr. I can't recall his mother's name.
  • I will try to locate his obituary.
Tracing Ancestors of Sam Brown / Tracing Your Ancestor Contest Winning Entry
« Last post by chief on April 30, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »
Congratulations to our winner (user name Tester) in the "Tracing Your Ancestors Contest". Her  chosen ancestor, Sam Brown, Jr. will be traced back into the pre-Civil War era. Weekly updates of the findings will be posted on this forum under the topics"Tracing the Ancestors of Sam Brown". But first, Tester will complete a simple, information gathering questionnaire about her chosen ancestor.
Tracing Ancestors of Georgia Scott / Re: Tracing Your Ancestor Contest Winning Entry
« Last post by chief on April 24, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »
We  (refers to the kinpeople.com staff) decided to take a look at the 1940 Hancock County federal census for W.H. Hill. Based on the information provided, he would have been an adult during that time. We discovered this entry:

Hill, W.H., household head, male, Negro, age 20, married, born Georgia, laborer
Hill, Georgia, wife, female, Negro, age 18, married, born Georgia, housewife
Hill, Nina Mae, daughter, female, Negro, age 1

U.S.Census, 1940, Hancock County, Georgia, District 111, W.H. Hill, Sheet 9B, House #143.

Although, there is an age discrepancy, the above entry matches the data we have obtained so far. We cannot use the 1950 census to follow the couple forward in time because it is not yet publicly available.  Census records are sealed 72 years before being opened for public viewing.

« Last post by chief on April 24, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
Seer supplied this death notice from a New York newspaper:

Hill-W. H.
Jan. 4, 1982; dear friend of E. Redder; father of Nina Hill of Elmhurst, N.Y.; brother of Mrs. A.B. Hillman and Mrs. N.B. Harrison, both of Sparta, Georgia. The funeral service to be conducted 1 PM Fri., Jan 8 from MEADOWS BROS FUNERAL HOME INC.,576 Jefferson Avenue. The family will be in attendance this evening 7-9 PM. Interment Lakeside Cemetery, Hamburg, N.Y. Rev. Jerry Stover officiating.

Seer stated that her uncle was no longer with Georgia at the time of his death. She also believed that Georgia might have remarried and was using the surname Ryan.

After consulting with an older relative, Seer reported that her uncle's birth year was probably 1915, not 1911.

« Last post by chief on April 17, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Seer supplied the following data about her ancestor:
  • My uncle W.H. Hill was born around 1911 in Hancock County, Georgia. I think he and his wife Georgia were pretty close in age.
  • I don't know when they married.
  • They had one daughter, Nina Hill. She is now deceased.
  • Georgia and her family lived near Hancock County but in Warren County. 
  • Uncle W.H. and Georgia separated. He moved to New York and died there. I have his obituary.
  • I think Aunt Georgia remarried.
  • Aunt Georgia's mother was named Nancy Scott. Nancy’s complexion was dark and pretty. Her hair, long, black and wavy.
  • I don't know Nancy's maiden name. She married a man named Lucious Scott.
In this series of post, we trace the ancestors of Georgia Scott, a woman of color and native of Warren County/ Hancock County, Georgia. Seer, one of the two winners in the " Kinpeople Tracing Your Ancestor Contest" named her as the ancestor she wanted traced.
NEWS / Re: Black Americans Claim Native American Heritage Poll
« Last post by chief on April 16, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »
You now have until 11:59 p.m., April 30, to participate in the Native American poll. You must be registered to participate. Guest will be able to view poll results.
NEWS / Re: Tracing Your Ancestors Contest
« Last post by chief on April 11, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
We have two winners in the "The Tracing Your Ancestor Contest". Read their contest entries under  Roots Blog/Tracing Your Ancestors Contest near the bottom of the forum homepage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8